News

News:  Google News  Traffic

 

KVTA Local News

Woman Jailed After Being Rescued From Chimney At Thousand Oaks Home

KVTA News Sunday October 19, 2014


(Photo courtesy VCSD)

(Photos courtesy Ventura County Fire Department and VCSO)

This updates our earlier stories-Deputies say a woman is in the Ventura County Jail charged with misdemeanor illegal entry and giving false information to law enforcement officers after trying to get into a Thousand Oaks home through the chimney early Sunday morning.

Ventura County firefighters went through an extensive operation to remove the woman after she was found around 5:45 AM, stuck in the chimney of the two story home in the 1900 block of Woodside Drive, a residential neighborhood near the interaction of Pederson and Erbes roads.

Ventura County firefighters, including Urban Search and Rescue team, responded to the scene and spent more than two hours extricating the woman.

Firefighters had to remove the chimney bricks in order to get to the flue where the woman was stuck.

They then cut away a portion of the flue to remove the woman.

They lubricated the flue using dish soap before removing her.

She was removed around 8:15 AM and taken to a local hospital to be checked out and then jailed.

She was identified as 30-year-old Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa of Thousand Oaks. 

Deputies say that there had been prior incidents involving the woman and a person who lives at the home.

Winning $13 Million Lotto Ticket Purchased In Simi Valley

KVTA News Sunday October 19, 2014

California Lottery officials say the winning $13 million SuperLotto Plus jackpot ticket from Saturday night's drawing was purchased in Ventura County.

The winning numbers were 23,12,15,40,9 and the Mega number 16.

The winning ticket was purchased at Simi Valley Circle K at 510 East Los Angeles Avenue in Simi Valley.

The lucky retailer will receive their own bonus check of $65,000 for selling the winning ticket.

Robbery Suspect Returns To The Scene Of The Crime

KVTA News Sunday October 19, 2014

Oxnard police say they arrested a robbery suspect early Sunday morning after he returned to the scene of the crime.

Around 1 AM officers were called to the 3300 block of Merced Place where they found a person who told them he'd been robbed by a man with a gun.

The victim said the suspect got away with his beer and cell phone.

Police say that while the officers were conducting their investigation the suspect returned to the area.

They say when he spotted the police he ran but was captured a short distance away.

They say that as the suspect fled he discarded what turned out to be a BB gun.

The officers recovered it and they say it looked like a real gun.

The suspect was identified as 18-year-old Eduardo Montiel of Oxnard.

Oxnard Shooting Was Domestic Violence

KVTA News Saturday October 18, 2014

(Photos courtesy Oxnard Police Department)

Updated--Oxnard police say the married couple they were looking for following what they believe was a "shots-fired" domestic violence incident Friday has been located.

They say that 24-year-old Anthony Carbajal and his 24-year-old wife Valarie were found walking in Albuquerque, New Mexico Saturday afternoon.

Police there say Valarie was safe and unharmed, and Anthony was arrested.

Oxnard police had been looking for the couple since responding to a "shots-fired" call Friday around 12:30 PM in the 2000 block of N. Ventura Road.

Officers found evidence of a shooting, but no victim and no suspect.

Further investigation determined that the shooting might have been the outgrowth of a domestic violence incident and they were worried about Valarie's welfare.

They said Anthony was on probation for a prior incident of domestic violence.

Police continued to investigate through the night and determined that the couple might be driving through California and Arizona and could be in New Mexico.

That's when they put the word out to the authorities in Albuquerque.

It was around 1:15 PM Saturday that police there found the couple walking and took them in for questioning.

They determined that Valarie was safe and unharmed and Anthony was arrested.

Driver Arrested For DUI After Hitting Little Girl In Oxnard

KVTA News Saturday October 18, 2014

Oxnard police say they arrested the driver of a pickup truck for DUI after it struck a little girl Friday night.

The incident happened around 8:48 PM Friday at "C" and 4th streets.

Police say a 3-year-old girl had wandered away from her father and ran into the street.

The child was hit by a pickup truck traveling at a slow to moderate speed.

The little girl sustained only minor injuries.

But officers who arrived at the scene said the driver of the pickup displayed signs of being under the influence of alcohol.

Police say it was later determined that the driver had a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit and he was arrested for DUI.

Moorpark High Graduate On Life Support

KVTA News Friday October 17, 2014

Updated-Officials at San Diego State University said Friday that they had released incorrect information about the Moorpark High School graduate who had contracted meningitis.

They had told the media that 18-year-old Sara Stelzer had died when in fact she was on life support at a San Diego hospital while it was determined if she could be an organ donor.

Before becoming ill with meningitis, Stelzer had returned to her hometown of Moorpark to attend the Moorpark High homecoming game and to visit friends and family.

Health officials are telling people who had contact with her either in Moorpark or San Diego to be checked out to make sure they were OK and possibly to take antibiotics as a preventative measure.

Ventura Man Accused Of Stealing From Immigrants

KVTA News Wednesday October 15, 2014

The Ventura County District Attorney's Office has charged a man with two dozen felonies including grand theft, extortion, burglary, ID theft, practicing law without a license, and other crimes for allegedly victimizing Spanish speaking immigrants by telling them he could help them avoid deportation.

Prosecutors accuse 58-year-old Jorge Moreno of Ventura of posing as a lawyer and consultant who allegedly made false promises to Spanish-speaking victims in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties.

They say he assured them he could prevent deportation, help with their immigration, and secure work visas.

The DA's office alleges that Moreno then collected fees up front yet never provided any actual services.

They say he then threatened some of his victims with deportation if they reported him to the authorities.

Prosecutors say Moreno stole more than $65,000 from his victims.

He has pleaded not guilty to the charges and remains in jail on $1 million bail with his next court date December 11th.

If convicted, Moreno could face more than 22 years in state prison.

Anyone who believes they were victimized by Moreno is asked to call DA Investigator Jeff Barry at (805) 662-1750.

Prison For Man Who Sold Bogus Batteries To Navy

KVTA News Wednesday October 15, 2014

A former Simi Valley resident has been sentenced to more than 7 years in federal prison for selling bogus batteries to the United States military.

The U-S Attorney's Office says that from 2004 to 2011, Powerline, a Simi Valley company owned by 64-year-old Didier De Nier, sold some 80,000 batteries and battery assemblies to the Navy at a cost of more than $2.6 million.

They were used as backup power sources on nuclear aircraft carriers, minesweepers, and ballistic submarines.

Federal prosecutors say De Nier told his employees to disguise the bogus nature of what were knock off batteries by putting counterfeit labels falsely identifying them as coming from approved manufacturers.

The government says Powerline, which also did business as Birdman Distribution, used chemicals to remove the "Made in China" labels on the counterfeit batteries and prepared doctored invoices, packing slips and other paperwork.

The U-S Attorney says De Nier and his wife, Lisa, lived lavishly off the money they made from the government contracts.

She served as the company's Vice President of Sales and has pleaded guilty and is facing up to ten years in prison when she is sentenced.

Ventura Arson Suspect Ordered To Stand Trial

KVTA News Wednesday October 15, 2014

(Photo courtesy Kari Pina)

The Oxnard man accused of starting a wildfire in a canyon above east Ventura last month was ordered Wednesday to stand trial.

Following a preliminary hearing for 24-year-old Garrett Smith, a judge said there was sufficient evidence to hold Smith for trial on arson and other charges.

Ventura County sheriff's deputies captured Smith after receiving a citizen's report that he was seen leaving the area where a 50 acre brush fire broke out September 29th in Harmon Canyon above Foothill Road in Ventura.

He was also accused of prowling.

The brush fire scorched 50 acres and required the response of scores of firefighters from Ventura and Los Angeles counties, including helicopters and air tankers, to put it out.

Some structures were briefly threatened, but none were damaged.

Smith remains in jail on $60,000 bail and is due back in court later this month.

Help On The Way To Sand-Starved Hueneme Beach

KVTA News Tuesday October 14, 2014

(Photo by Alex Wilson, KVTA News)

Help is finally on the way for sand-starved Hueneme Beach.
With much fanfare Tuesday, officials announced the start of a dredging operation in nearby Channel Islands Harbor that will mean the relocation of more than two million cubic yards of sand to the beach in the city of Port Hueneme.
The Hueneme beach area has been suffering from severe erosion and loss of sand for some time now and delays in the dredging operation up coast have made the situation even worse.
At one point, the sea had eaten its way through the retaining wall between the beach and a portion of Surfside Drive, forcing closure of the roadway for a time.
The erosion also caused damage to pilings at the Hueneme Pier creating the need for a multi million dollar repair and replacement project which is now underway.
The dredging also comes none too soon to keep a build up of silt from creating problems at the entrance to Channel Islands Harbor.
More than $4 million has already been OK'd for the initial phase of dredging and sand relocation to Hueneme Beach with more funds promised in the future

Help is finally on the way for sand-starved Hueneme Beach.

With much fanfare Tuesday, officials announced the start of a dredging operation in nearby Channel Islands Harbor that will mean the relocation of more than two million cubic yards of sand to the beach in the city of Port Hueneme.

The Hueneme beach area has been suffering from severe erosion and loss of sand for some time now and delays in the dredging operation up coast have made the situation even worse.

At one point, the sea had eaten its way through the retaining wall between the beach and a portion of Surfside Drive, forcing closure of the roadway for a time.

The erosion also caused damage to pilings at the Hueneme Pier creating the need for a multi million dollar repair and replacement project which is now underway.

The dredging also comes none too soon to keep a build up of silt from creating problems at the entrance to Channel Islands Harbor.

More than $4 million has already been OK'd for the initial phase of dredging and sand relocation to Hueneme Beach with more funds promised in the future.

Santa Paula Dog Case Resolved

KVTA News Tuesday October 14, 2014

A controversial case involving a Santa Paula man who had initially been accused of training dogs to fight and mistreating them was resolved Tuesday.

28-year-old Silvano Duran pleaded guilty to five misdemeanor counts of failure to care for animals and all the other charges against him were dismissed.

Santa Paula police had accused Duran earlier this year of keeping a large number of dogs at his home under deplorable conditions with evidence that he was training them to fight.

However, the authorities never followed through on the fight training allegation, which Duran vehemently denied.

Duran claimed he was rescuing and taking care of stray dogs and was trying to help them.

He insisted the authorities had overreacted and grossly misrepresented what was going on.

After pleading guilty to the four misdemeanor counts of failure to care for the animals, Duran was given a suspended sentence, placed on three years formal probation, ordered to do a month in the county's work release program, and also ordered to pay restitution with the amount to be determined at a later date.

The dogs were taken by police and turned over to Santa Paula's "no kill" animal shelter where officials say they've been cared for and were being restored to health for adoption.

Trial Starts For Man Accused Of Murder, Rape and Robbery

KVTA News Tuesday October 14, 2014

A jury has been selected for the trial of a man accused in a crime spree at two Oxnard massage businesses that ended with a killing at one of them.

31-year-old Jose Ochoa is facing more than two dozen counts accusing him of sexual assault, robbery and murder.

The crimes happened during early 2010.

Prosecutors allege that Ochoa fatally shot 59-year-old Sun Cha Kays during an attempted robbery at the A-1 Spa on South C Street where she was the manager.

He is also accused of sexually assaulting two workers at the Tokyo Spa on Saviers Road in Oxnard during an earlier robbery.

If convicted, Ochoa faces life in prison without possibility of parole.

The authorities arrested two alleged accomplices to some of the crimes, one already pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.